Selection Criteria (K-Year 2) Express Interest
By working from a robust research and evidence base and providing concrete techniques teachers can use immediately, the Masterclass Series supports teachers to build high-impact instruction into their own classrooms in real time.
- Be supported to implement and embed evidence-based teaching strategies into your practice, in your own classroom.
- Receive richer feedback about student learning, as you’re teaching, so that you can make decisions on what to teach next, using information from every student in your class.
- Improve student participation and engagement, such that every student achieves at least a year’s worth of progress, masters concepts and retains learning in the future.
The Masterclass Series Experience
The Masterclass Series is a spaced learning program that includes:
5 days of professional learning that deepen understanding of the research (the ‘why’), seeing instructional strategies in action, digging into high quality examples and modelling, with hands-on testing and trialing.
A learning environment where every participant commits to implementing and practising the instructional strategies as well as collecting feedback from their own students over the course of the series.
Multiple rounds of coaching, with opportunities for self-reflection. Complete the Masterclass Series feeling confident in the practices.
The opportunity for executive school leaders to participate in the first day of professional learning to build their own understanding of high-impact instruction and support for participant teachers back at school.
Working with a cohort of peers to collectively drive improvement for all.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Have a practical understanding of high-impact classroom instruction, including the ability to identify high-impact practices in a range of classroom settings.
- Have increased levels of fluency and confidence in key instructional practices.
- Have a practical understanding of the Science of Reading, Phonological Awareness and Phonics Instruction.
- Be working daily with a set of high-impact routines and practices.
- Feel confident to identify best practice in pre-prepared teaching resources.
- Have a small lesson bank, embedding these strategies, that you have trialed with your own students (and have received feedback on).
- Have created your own materials that support the delivery of these strategies.
- Be clear on what you will need to continue to work on to improve your teaching practice and the learning outcomes of your students.
- Have a network of peers committed to further developing their expertise alongside you.
It’s not about a magical intervention to help the kids this year; it’s about helping teachers make decisions based on the level of understanding of all students. That’s how you close the achievement gap.
Dr. Dylan Wiliam, author of Embedded Formative Assessment
Where will this take your school?
Upon completion of the Masterclass Series, schools with participants will have:
- Teachers who are able to demonstrate high-impact instruction to other teachers in the school.
- Teachers who are able to describe the research base and rationale for the practices of high-impact instruction in simple terms.
- Teachers who can talk first-hand about the difference the strategies have made to student participation, engagement, and learning in their classroom.
- Feedback from students about their experience of learning in an environment where these high-impact instructional practices are used more frequently.
- School leaders will also have the ability to start a dialogue with other teachers about high-impact instruction if they personally attend Day 1 of the series. We encourage school leaders to enroll in the full masterclass if they wish to build their capacity to lead instruction.
Who Can Participate in the Masterclass?
- Classroom teachers with students in K-Year 2; and
- Teacher leaders, including instructional leaders associate principals, and assistant principals with classroom teaching responsibilities
- Administrative leaders, including principals, associate principals, and assistant principals
There are a maximum of 65 places available for each masterclass and applications are selective. It is important that teachers feel supported to implement these strategies back at school, therefore, to increase the likelihood of a teacher being awarded a place, schools should commit to sending a minimum of 2 participants.
Schools that are able to commit to sending a member of their senior administration to the first workshop will be given preference in the application process. This ensures that leaders are able to provide further support back at school for teachers in the Masterclass.
Selection Criteria for Classroom Teachers or Leaders Wishing to Apply for a K-Year 2 Cohort
- Commitment of senior admin member to attend the first day of PL
- Applicant’s commitment to evidence-based teaching practices
- Applicant’s ability to lead teachers through instructional change
- Applicant’s commitment to teaching in low socio-economic communities, or students at educational risk
- All participating schools must have had participants participate in a Year 3-10 Cohort
- All participating schools must commit to trialling and/or using at least one valid assessment from appendix 1 and at least one valid evidence-based program from appendix 2 in the ‘Primary Reading Pledge‘
School leaders wishing to apply for 5 or more scholarships, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships will be awarded as applications are processed. We encourage school leaders and teachers to have their applications in early to improve their chances of receiving a scholarship. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spots are filled, however, no later than three weeks prior to course commencement. Should all places be filled, successful applicants will be offered a place in a future Masterclass cohort.
2023 K-Year 2 Course Dates
The Masterclass Dates for 2023 are subject to change.
Practical Session 1
Practical Session 2
Practical Session 3
Practical Session 4
Practical Session 5
Monday, 13 March (Term 1, Week 7)
Tuesday, 16 May (Term 2, Week 4)
Wednesday, 19 July (Term 3, Week 1)
Thursday, 7 September (Term 3, Week 8)
Tuesday, 31 October (Term 4, Week 4)
All workshops for Perth Cohorts will be held at Telethon Speech & Hearing, 36 Dodd St, Wembley WA 6014 or City of Perth Surf Life Saving Club, 181-183 Challenger Parade, City Beach WA 6015.
The Masterclass Series has a value of $7,595.00. Thanks to the generous support of a local WA philanthropist, successful applicants will be awarded a scholarship towards this cost.
Course Cost After Scholarship
Teach Well is currently confirming funding support for schools. The final course cost for schools will be confirmed in August 2022. Please express your interest below (obligation free) and we can ensure you’re added to our priority communication.
Scholarships will be awarded as applications are processed. We encourage school leaders and teachers to have their applications in early to improve their chances of receiving a scholarship. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spots are filled, however, no later than three weeks prior to course commencement.
For principals, applying for multiple teachers
- Discuss the opportunity with staff and decide which teachers you would like to nominate.
- Ensure the availability for your teachers for all of the five professional learning days.
- Determine which senior admin member will attend Day 1 (this will improve the chances of your school being awarded places).
- Write a signed letter of support for your candidates detailing your school’s commitment to evidence-based teaching, as well as endorsing your candidate’s ability to lead activities in your school. The principal must also provide a commitment that teachers will be supported with the necessary IT and technology to ensure footage can be submitted for the video coaching component.
- Ensure your school meets the Selection Criteria.
School leaders wishing to apply for 5 or more scholarships, please contact us at email@example.com.
For Individual Teachers/Leaders
For individual teachers or leaders wishing to apply
- Improve your chances of being accepted by finding a colleague in your school to complete the Masterclass with you.
- Ensure your availability for all five professional learning days.
- Submit a signed letter of support from your principal or Deputy detailing your commitment to evidence-based teaching and their commitment to ensuring you have the necessary IT and technology support to ensure you are able to submit footage for the video coaching component.
Send your application queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection Criteria (K-Year 2) Express Interest